Bartlett Track – Blackhole Track Loop:
Bartlett track, another wonderful walk in the hills. Covering about 6 km’s, this loop walk is reasonably easy with the main uphill stretch on Blackhole Track being the only real challenge, a reasonable level of fitness is required.
A number of trails branch off this track and the walk could easily be extended, an option would be to follow Rock Track and a walk up through the Hamer Arboretum, or even start this walk from the Hamer/Woorich lookout.
- 6kms approx / 1.5 – 2 hours
- Easy to moderate walk with a reasonably steep climb up Blackhole Track
- No toilets (nearest public toilets are located at Olinda Falls Car Park, by Olinda Recreation Reserve or Olinda)
- No dogs allowed.
- Get Driving Directions
- Public Transport: Train to Upper Ferntree Gully or Croydon and bus route no. 688 to Mt Dandenong Village. Get off the bus on the corner of Dickens Street (by the Pig and Whistle Tavern) and walk down Dickens to Fordyce Road and turn left onto Falls Road to reach Mathias.
Parking at the end of Bartlett track on Falls Road is limited.
- Beginning of Bartlett track OR walk down Mathias Track for about 50 metres and take the small, unmarked, track to the left (Predator track) which joins into Bartlett Track. Turn right.
- Follow down Bartlett Track for about 500 metres until the junction with Rifle Range Track, turn right, and continue along Rifle Range Track. Walk quietly and be on the lookout for Lyrebirds and other native critters.
- At the junction of Rifle Range and KC track, turn right and follow KC Track until it joins Blackhole Track and continue up to meet Mathias Track. Head right and follow Mathias Track back to the car park.
The closest accommodation to this walk is ‘Bessie’ a 1969 vintage bond wood caravan, a short walk away from Mathias Track (see the image and link below).