Walking Trails Index – Dandenong Ranges
- PRAM FRIENDLY WALKING TRAILS: This generally means a walk can be done with a pram that is designed for rough terrain. Ordinary strollers would not be suitable other than on the Margaret Lester walk at Grants Picnic Ground in Sherbrooke or at Birdsland Reserve. It also does not imply the tracks are not without some steps, steep or muddy sections.
- DOG-FRIENDLY WALKING TRAILS: Dogs are required to be on a lead at all times unless in a zone that is signposted as ‘off lead’.
- Take care when walking and allow for sudden weather changes.
- Walking Trails can become slippery when wet, use caution.
- Carry warm clothing, water and food as required.
- Download the Map App or take a printed map.
- Times and distances on walking trails are a guide and may vary.
- Ratings | Gradings of each walk are not an official classification.
Sometimes tracks are closed for re-vegetation, please contact us if you find any walk notes have inaccuracies as we do strive to maintain accurate details on all the walking trails described on our site.
DANDENONG Ranges Walking Trails: Shortest to Longest
- Neuman Track / Lyrebird Walk Kallista – From 900 metres, return. Pram Friendly. Easy
- Hardy Gully Nature Trail: Kallista – 700m return. Easy
- Burkes Lookout: Mt Dandenong – Under 1km return – Pram Friendly. Easy
- Olinda Falls: Mt Dandenong – 600m – 1.6 km return. Moderate
- Kalorama Park: Kalorama – Under 2 km’s return. Moderate
- Doongalla Homestead: The Basin / Mt Dandenong – Multiple Walk options from under 2kms return. Easy > Moderate
- Hamer Arboretum & Woolrich Lookout: Olinda – 1 Hour return walk Dog-friendly Easy > Moderate
- Sherbrooke Falls: Sherbrooke – 2.4 km return Easy
- The Tan Track: Sherbrooke – 2.7 km return Easy
- Birdsland Reserve: Belgrave South – 2.85 km’s circuit walk Pram and Dog-Friendly. Easy
- Rock Track Circuit Walk: 3 km’s | 1 Hour Dog-Friendly. Easy
- Valley Picnic Ground: Olinda / Silvan– Eagle Nest Loop – 3km’s circuit walk Pram Friendly. Easy > Moderate
- Cardinia Reservoir Park: 3km’s Messmate Trail, Kangaroo Spotting! Dog & Pram friendly Easy > Moderate
- 1000 Steps – Kokoda Memorial Walk: Upper Ferntree Gully / Ferny Creek – 4.3km circuit. Moderate > Hard
- True Grit: Kalorama – 5.5km’s | 2 hours. Medium > Hard
- Glenfern Valley Bushlands: 6 km’s | 1.5 Hours Dog-friendly Easy > Medium
- Mathias – Rock Track Circuit Walk: Hamer Arboretum – 6km circuit – Dog-friendly Moderate
- Bartletts Track – Blackhole Track Loop: Mt Dandenong/ Olinda– 6km’s return. Easy > Moderate
- Monument Track: Sherbrooke Falls: Sherbrooke Forest – 6km’s Return Easy > Moderate
- Olinda to Sassafras: 7km’s Return Moderate > Hard
- Bellview Terrace Loop: Upper Ferntree Gully – 7km’s |2/2.5 hours. Moderate > Hard
- Mathias Track: Olinda/Mt Dandenong – 7km return – Dog-friendly, Pram Friendly Easy >
- Silvan to Mt Evelyn: Olinda Creek Track – 9.2km’s return | Dog-friendly, Almost Pram-friendly Easy > Moderate
- Emerald to Cockatoo: 12km’s Return, Walk or ride bikes. Dog & Pram Friendly. Moderate
- Western Slopes Circuit Walk: 12km’s return approx. Moderate > Hard
- Mountain Circuit Walk: 16km’s Approx. Moderate
- Mount Dandenong to Mt Evelyn: 9 km’s One-way or 18 km’s return approx. Moderate > Reasonably Hard
- Olinda or Mt Dandenong Village to SkyHigh, Mt Dandenong – One-Way – Approx. 10 km’s from Olinda & Approx. 9kms from Mt Dandenong Village EACH WAY. Moderate > Almost Hard
- Sassafras to Belgrave: 12 km’s One-Way Easy > Moderate
- Sherbrooke – Sassafras to Mt Dandenong Summit: 13 Km’s, one-way / 3-4 hours. Moderate > Hard
- Sassafras to Emerald: Dandenong Ranges Tourist Track – 15km, one-way/ 5 hours – Dog-friendly. Easy > Moderate
- Ferntree Gully to Mt Dandenong & SkyHigh: 20 km’s One way / 6-8 hours. Moderate > Hard
|1. Neuman Track/ Lyrebird Walk From 900 metres return. |
|10. Birdsland Reserve – 2.85 km’s circuit walk – Pram and Dog Friendly |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Birdsland Reserve – 2.85 km’s circuit walk – Pram and Dog Friendly. Easy walking on mostly level surfaces.
|11. Valley Picnic Ground – Eagle Nest Loop – 3km’s circuit walk, 1 hour. – Pram Friendly |
Valley Picnic Ground – Eagle Nest Loop – 3km’s circuit walk, 1 hour. – Pram Friendly. No toilets (ignore the marker for toilets on the map, they are closed) , can get muddy, ok for prams that are built to go on rougher tracks! Easy to moderate walk.
|12. Rock Track Circuit walk - Dog Friendly |
Walk Notes: Rock Track Circuit Walk: 3 km’s | 1 Hour Easy
|13. Cardinia Reservoir Park |
Walk Notes: Cardinia Reservoir Park
Fabulous reserve with dog-friendly walks, paths suitable for prams, playground, BBQ's and... Kangaroos!
|14. 1000 Steps – Kokoda Memorial Walk – 4.3km circuit |
WALK NOTES PAGE: 1000 Steps – Kokoda Memorial Walk – 4.3km circuit. Moderate to hard.
|15. True Grit |
True Grit Walk Notes: 5.4 km's | 2 hours. Medium > Hard
|16. Glenfern Valley Bushlands |
Walk Notes: Glenfern Valley Bushlands
|17. Rock Track Circuit Walk - just under 6 kms. dog friendly, easy to moderate walk with hilly sections. |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Rock Track Circuit Walk - Just under 6 km circuit - Dog friendly This walk can be started at various locations, read the walk notes for more details.
|18. Bartletts Track – Blackhole Track Loop – 1.5 – 2 Hours return, 6kms. |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Bartletts Track – Blackhole Track Loop – 1.5 – 2 Hours return, 6kms. Lookout for Lyrebirds! Easy to moderate walk.
Walk down Bartlet Track to the 3 way junction, about 500 metres from Falls Road.
|19. Monument Track - Sherbrooke Falls |
WALK NOTES: Monument Track -Sherbrooke Falls Walk. 6kms approx.
|2. Hardy Gully Nature Trail – 700m return |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Hardy Gully Nature Trail – 700m return. One of the shortest, yet prettiest walk in the Dandenong. Easy walking.
|20. Olinda to Sassafras walk. |
WALK NOTES: Olinda to Sassafras. 7 kms return, moderate to hard walking with plenty of uphill and downhill stretches!
|21. Bellview Terrace Loop Walk |
Walk Notes: Bellview Terrace Loop
|22, Mathias Track - 6km |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Mathias Track - – 6km return – Dog friendly, Pram Friendly
|23. Silvan to Mt Evelyn |
WALK NOTES: Silvan to Mt Evelyn. This walk can also be done in reverse easily. Dog-Friendly. 4.kms each way.
|24. Emerald to Cockatoo |
WALK NOTES: Emerald to Cockatoo - Bike ride or walk. Dog and pram friendly.
|25. Western Slopes, Mt Dandenong |
Walk Notes: Western Slopes Hike
Distance: 12kms approx. | 3 – 3.5 hours. Moderate > Hard
|26. Mountain Circuit Walk |
Walk Notes: Mountain Circuit Walk
Circuit walk from Olinda to the Summit of Mt Dandenong, 16 km's approximately.
|27. Mt Dandenong to Mt Evelyn |
Starting at Mount Dandenong or in the reverse direction from Mount Evelyn. This 18km (approx) walk takes in superb views, tree fern gullies and dense bushland to Mount Evelyn Recreation Reserve.
|28. Olinda - Mt Dandenong Village to SkyHigh |
WALK NOTES: Olinda - Mt Dandenong to SkyHigh
Moderate Walking, following the western flanks of Mount Dandenong. 9/10kms each way, starting at either Olinda or Mt Dandenong Village.
|29. Sassafras to Belgrave |
Walk Notes: Sassafras to Belgrave - 12 kms | 3 hours One way. Easy> Moderate walking.
|3. Burkes Lookout - Under 1km return - Pram Friendly |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Bourkes Lookout – Under 1km return – Pram Friendly. Fabulous Views over Melbourne.
|30. Sherbrooke - Sassafras to Mt Dandenong Summit |
WALK NOTES: Sherbrooke - Sassafras to Mt Dandenong Summit: 13 Km's, one-way / 3-4 hours. Moderate > Hard
|31. Dandenong Ranges Tourist Track – Sassafras to Emerald – 15km, one-way/ 5 hours – Dog friendly |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Dandenong Ranges Tourist Track – Sassafras to Emerald – 15km, one-way/ 5 hours – Dog friendly. Easy to moderate walking. Catch Puffing Billy or a bus to Emerald and walk back perhaps... pack a picnic...
|32. Ferntree Gully to Mt Dandenong |
Walk Notes: Ferntree Gully to Mt Dandenong - The Big Hike!
|4. Olinda Falls - 600m / 1.6km |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Olinda Falls – 600m – 1.6 km return. Easy to Moderate Walk
|5. Kalorama Park |
Walk Notes: Kalorama Park Less than 2kms circuit walk. Can be slippery and is quite steep in sections.
|6. Doongalla Homestead – Multiple Walk options from under 2kms. |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Doongalla Homestead – Multiple Walk options from under 2kms. BBQ's and picnic areas.
|7. Hamer Arboretum & Woolrich Lookout – 1 Hour walk or more if desired. |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Hamer Arboretum & Woolrich Lookout – 1 Hour walk or more if desired. Dog friendly on some tracks. Great views over the valley.
|8. Sherbrooke Falls -2.4 km, Less than 1 hour return |
WALK NOTES PAGE: Sherbrooke Falls - 2.4 km, Less than 1 hour return. Pretty walk, easy to moderate. Pack a picnic!
|9 The Tan Track |
Walk Notes: The Tan Track, Sherbrooke 2.7 km return. Easy
|Belgrave Train Station |
Belgrave Trin Station. Connecting buses and walking trails from the town. Loads of cafes and shops, also the home of Puffing Billy Steam Train!
|Croydon Train Station |
Croydon Train Station, local buses connect to take passengers into the Dandenongs.
|Upper Ferntree Gully |
Upper Ferntree Gully Train Station. From here it is possible to walk into the National Park or catch a local bus into the Dandenongs. To walk, head left out of the station and follow the Burwood Highway for about 10 minutes. The National Park is on the left at the junction with the Mount Dandenong Tourist Road. The 1000 Steps/Kokoda Trail starts here.