Mathias Track – Rock Track Circuit Walk, Olinda
Rock Track, also referred to as Golf course Track, passes between the Old Olinda Golf Course and the Hamer Arboretum. Paths lead off in various directions, so the walk can be extended easily. This circuit does involve about 1.5 km’s walking on Falls and Olinda-Monbulk roads.
Parking is available at Olinda Oval (toilets), near Olinda Pool or Falls Road at the Mathias Track entry.
- Total Distance: Just under 6 km’s
- Walking time: 1 to 1.5 hours
- Medium grade walk, reasonable fitness level required.
- Parking available at Olinda Oval, Mathias Track or Chalet Road.
- Toilets available at Olinda Recreation Reserve.
- Possible to push baby buggies, though some steep sections with tree roots exposed, not advised especially.
- Dog Friendly
- Rock Track is also referred to as Golf Course Track. Both names have been used on various maps and signage.
This walk can be started from three main locations, where parking is generally easy. My preferred start point is Mathias Track and do the walk in either direction from there. This then means a hill climb is done first and not as a ‘punishment’ at the end of the walk!
Maybe visit a cafe in Olinda or at the Rhododendron Gardens during the walk.
Assuming walkers are starting from the Falls Road/Mathias Track car park:
- This is a circuit walk, follow the directions below or in reverse order.
- Walk up Falls Road along the verge, past the Rhododendron Gardens to the Olinda-Monbulk Road junction.
- Turn left at Olinda-Monbulk Road by the Olinda recreation oval and continue for less than 10 minutes to Chalet Road on the left.
- Follow down Chalet Road for about 100 metres until the track is seen heading off to the left, alongside the old Olinda Golf course.
- At this point, you are on Rock Track/ Golf course Track. It is a little steep in parts with some tree roots exposed on the trail, can be slippery too. The rocks, that the track is named after, are visible on the right and kids love to roam on them. Take care if walking on the rocks.
- Continue on down until you see the sign for Cornus Track forking off to the right. Both these trails will lead to Mathias Track, Cornus is generally a little overgrown, it is slightly further, so take your pick! (image below).
- Less than 10 minutes walking, and you will arrive at Mathias Track. It is a well-used trail and quite obvious when you get there. Turn left and walk directly for about 1km until you reach the car park at the end of Falls Road.