Mathias Track – Rock Track Circuit Walk, Olinda
Rock Track, also referred to as Golf course Track on the lower section passes between the Old Olinda Golf Course and the Hamer Arboretum. Paths lead off in various directions, so the walk can be extended easily. This circuit does involve about 1.5 km’s walking on Falls and Olinda-Monbulk roads.
Parking is available at the former Olinda Golf Course near Olinda Pool or Falls Road at the Mathias Track entry.
- Total Distance: Just under 6 km’s
- Walking time: 1 to 1.5 hours
- Medium grade bushwalk, reasonable fitness level required.
- Parking available at the former Olinda Golf Course, Mathias Track at Falls Road, or Chalet Road near the pool.
- Toilets available at Olinda Recreation Reserve.
- Possible to push baby prams (we have done it), though some steep sections will be encountered with tree roots exposed, not advised to push prams unless you are prepared for rough terrain in sections.
- Dog-Friendly, on-lead, but if you start at the old golf course you can run your pooch off the lead.
- Rock Track is also referred to as Golf Course Track in the lower section. Both names have been used on various maps and signage.
- For walkers with kids who would like a bit more activity after a good walk, there is a playground at the top of the old Olinda golf course.
- Get Driving Directions to the old Olinda Golf Course – Toilets, BBQ, playground, views across the valley.
- Get driving directions to Mathias Track
- Public Transport: Train to Upper Ferntree Gully or Croydon and bus route no. 688 to Olinda. Get off the bus in Olinda: walk along Olinda Monbulk Road to The Olinda Golf Course car park and start the circuit track from there. This is the best option for people using public transport.
This walk can be started from three main locations, where parking is generally easy. My preferred start point is from the former Olinda Golf Course as there is plenty of parking, which is where the notes begin.
Maybe visit a cafe in Olinda or at the Dandenong Ranges Botanic Gardens during the walk.
Starting from the old Olinda Golf Course car park:
- From the car park, walk a couple of minutes along Olinda-Monbulk Road to Chalet Road, turn left into Chalet Road for about 100 metres until a track is seen heading off to the left, alongside the old Olinda Golf course.
- (OR if you have a dog, walk onto the golf course and follow signs to the off-leash area for a while and then continue on to Rock Track).
- At this point, you are on Rock Track/ Golf course Track. It is a little steep in parts with some tree roots exposed on the trail, can be slippery too. The rocks, that the track is named after, are visible on the right and kids love to roam on them. Take care if walking on the rocks.
- Continue on down until you see the sign for Cornus Track forking off to the right. Both these trails will lead to Mathias Track, Cornus is generally a little overgrown, it is slightly further, so take your pick! (image below).
- Less than 10 minutes walking, and you will arrive at Mathias Track. It is a well-used trail and quite obvious when you get there. Turn left and walk directly for about 1km until you reach Falls Road.
- Turn left and walk up Falls Road, along the verge, past the Rhododendron Gardens to the Olinda-Monbulk Road junction.
- Turn left at Olinda-Monbulk Road by the Olinda recreation oval and continue for less than 5 minutes to the golf course parking again.
- From Thursday to Sunday, ‘Oscar’ the Vintage caravan is in the car park serving great coffee etc. and snacks.