Walks in the Dandenongs – Pram Friendly
Pram friendly walks are easy to find in the Dandenongs, some are reasonably level, others are definitely more of a challenge. Family walking is an ideal activity in the hills, during any season. Rug up in winter and enjoy the mountain air, relish the autumn colours and admire the spring blossoms. Summer is also gorgeous in the hills, generally 5 degrees cooler than the ‘lowlands’ of Melbourne on long hot days.
Yes, it is cooler in winter as a rule, but once it is cold down south in Victoria anyway, what difference do a few degrees make really?
- Whilst we list these walks as ‘Pram Friendly’ please take note that it does not mean they are all easy to push a pram on as such. Walkers would need a suitable pram that is designed for rougher, muddy trails.
11 of the best child-friendly walks with a pram in the Dandenongs
- Mathias Track – An easy walk with prams, though take care to watch out for sticks on the track and a bit of mud in winter. Horse riders, dog walkers and mountain bike riders also use this track.
- Hardy Gully Nature Trail – Quite a short walk and it can be a bit muddy in wet weather, but it is quite negotiable for taking prams along.
- Burke’s Lookout – This walk takes in some spectacular views across Melbourne and the bay.
- Neuman Road (track)/Lyrebird Walk – A lovely walk in the East Sherbrooke forest. Ok for prams, though the track does narrow and can get muddy – see the images and walk notes in order to make a decision. From 900 metres return…
- Birdlsand Reserve – An easy one-hour walk-surfaced tracks through bushland and around two lakes.
- Cardinia Reservoir – Walks along the reservoir wall and through the parklands on well-made tracks.
- The Tan Track, Sherbrooke. 2.7 km | 40 mins. Easy walking with an uphill section.
- Valley Picnic Ground – Eagle Nest Loop – Pleasant bush walk on well-made tracks, 1 hour.
- Emerald to Cockatoo – 12kms return. Good tracks with some hills. The surface is mostly firm, though some loose gravel in sections.
- Silvan to Mt Evelyn: Olinda Creek Walking Track – 9.2kms return | Almost Pram-friendly as it does involve some steps and a narrow section where the track crosses Olinda Creek, it also has a fairly steep, open hill on the last leg to the Mt Evelyn rec reserve. Please read the walk notes and decide for yourselves. Easy > Moderate
- Glenfern Valley Bushlands: Upwey. 6kms of trails | Pram-friendly on some main trails.
Some walks in the Dandenongs are quite easy…
…. other walks are only for the slightly crazy (this one is not too bad really, it is Mechanics Track, leading off Falls Road down towards Olinda Falls). Watch out for leeches, snakes at times, kookaburras that love to swoop down and pinch food from picnic plates…
I will confess to being in the ‘slightly crazy’ category and have walked many of the trails in the Dandenongs pushing an ‘all terrain’ type baby buggy over fallen tree trunks and down muddy paths. It is possible, but not something most people will want to do. Make sure you know the trail conditions before setting out on a walk if you want to avoid problems.
Remember that walking/hiking in the Dandenongs can be hazardous. Walking in extreme weather conditions ought to be avoided.
Use common sense and be prepared.
The Pram walks website is a great resource for more walks around Victoria.