Burkes Lookout, Mt Dandenong
The best views of Melbourne from the Dandenong Ranges, day or night this is a spectacular walk.
New Year’s Eve at Burkes Lookout has become a very popular place to be. It gets really crowded, though the atmosphere is usually always great.
Do be aware that the fireworks displays are not exactly awesome from up here! They will look tiny and insignificant from up on Mt Dandenong.
Fabulous views across Melbourne, Port Phillip Bay and to the Macedon Ranges. Grab a cuppa and some munchies from one of the hills villages or b.y.o. picnic and relax a while on a rock or the grass…
We have been advised that this area is now being patrolled by police, particularly after hours, to reduce incidents of dangerous driving.
Fines will be imposed and cars may be impounded.
- Total Distance: Just under 1 km
- Walking time: 20 minutes return
- Easy grade walk.
- Parking available on Osprey Road (off Ridge Road). This is a very short road.
- Public Transport: Bus service along Ridge Road, Mt Dandenong from Croydon or Ferntree Gully. Ask the driver to let you off at Osprey Road/Kyeema Memorial.
- No toilets. Nearest public toilets: Olinda or Sky High, Mt Dandenong
- Pram-Friendly though can be a bit bumpy. A suitable pram for rougher tracks is ideal.
- Depending on the wheelchair type, it may be possible to use this track.
- No dogs, bikes or horses allowed.
- Picnic Tables: No. Plenty of picnic grounds can be found in other parts of the Dandenongs.
- Get Directions to Burkes Lookout
Burkes Lookout, Mt Dandenong – Directions
From the car park on Osprey Road, follow Kyeema Track along the ridge to the viewpoint. A short distance from the car park is the Kyeema Memorial site.
More walks nearby
- The Western Slopes walk is a great hike to get your leg muscles aching! Plenty of uphill and downhill walking!
- How about either the 16 km Mt Dandenong Circuit Walk which passes through Olinda
- Or the 20km hike from Mt Dandenong, through Doongalla Homestead, across the slopes, down the 1000 Steps to Upper Ferntree Gully!
- From Burkes Lookout walkers can also follow the trail on down to the Villages of Mt Dandenong or Olinda…