Olinda Falls Walking Track
Olinda Falls, one of the prettiest waterfalls close to Melbourne, another nearby waterfall walk is to the Sherbrooke Falls. Olinda Falls is the larger of the two and both are best seen after heavy rains.
The walk to the falls is pretty, though a little steep in parts with uneven rocky steps in the lower section. The falls are in two parts, the upper viewing platform, and the lower viewing area.
More waterfalls, quite close to Melbourne, can be seen along the Great Ocean Road. The 7.5km walk from Lorne to Erskine Falls is particularly pretty.
Watch our short video of the walk down to the falls and returning via Mechanics Track.
Parking at Olinda Falls Car Park
The Falls car park is on the corner of Falls and Doughty’s Roads. Get directions.
- Another option to reach the waterfall walk is to park at the Mt Dandenong Arboretum off Ridge Road and walk down Mechanics Track. It is about 2km, steep on the return trip, and can get muddy, but is a lovely hike. Click to get directions.
- Or – Park on the Mt Dandenong Tourist Road by the Preschool and follow Mechanics Track from there. Click to get directions.
- Total Distance: 600m to 1.6km (depending on the route taken).
- Medium grade walks, reasonable fitness level required.
- Toilets and parking available at Falls car park
- Picnic tables, water, and a fire pit.
- Not suitable for wheelchairs or prams.
Public Transport to Olinda Falls
Train to Upper Ferntree Gully or Croydon Station then
bus route no. 688 This bus route alternates between going via Ridge Road or
the Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, be sure to be on the bus the goes along the
Tourist Road and get o at the corner of Falls Road, by the little stone church
and walk about 1km down Falls Road to the Falls car park.
Are dogs allowed at Olinda Falls?
No. Dogs are not allowed at the Olinda Falls or within the park as it is part of the Dandenong Ranges National Park.
You can find dog-friendly areas and walking tracks here, the best off-leash dog walking area is at the old Olinda Golf Course, get directions to the course. There are also 4 wood-burning fireplaces (byo wood) for use at the golf course, under shelter. It is ideal for families and groups to use as parking is available too. A large playground is also at the golf course, a perfect spot for families.
Walking Directions – Olinda Falls
From the car park, it is a 300-metre walk to the falls (each way). Simply head straight down and follow the signs. Coming back it is an uphill climb.
To make the return walk a little more interesting:
Rather than walking back up from the falls the same way, turn left onto Mechanics Track and follow it to Falls Road, turn right and walk 10 m back to the car park.
Total Walk, if doing the extra little bit, is 1.6 km and takes about an hour. Not allowing for resting and enjoying the falls.
How about spending a night or more in the Dandenong Ranges?
- There is an Air BnB listed vintage caravan, just a 20-minute walk from the Olinda Falls car park. It is set on a 5-acre property with a private rainforest track and a lovely garden to explore. More walks lead off from the property and visitors can easily leave their car behind and walk to the nearby Pig and Whistle Tavern of Mt Dandenong Village. Find out more about this vintage caravan stay.
- For more accommodation options in the Dandenongs, click here or browse for Air BnB options around Olinda, using the search box below.
CAR RENTAL: Compare prices from the best car hire companies