Dog-Friendly Walks, Dandenong Ranges
Dog-friendly walks in the Dandenongs, that are also wonderful for their humans, can be found despite the fact that we are surrounded by a few thousand acres of National Park.
Mathias Track is possibly the best known walking trail that allows dogs, horses and mountain bike riders. It is an 8km return walk from one end to the other and can be accessed from Falls Road, Silvan Road or the Hamer Arboretum.
The best ever off-lead dog-friendly walking in the Dandenongs has to be at the old Olinda golf course. It ceased being used for golfing some years ago and is currently being used by many people for walking, with and without dogs. It is an expansive area with stunning views, pack a picnic maybe and enjoy this special spot.
Dogs / Animals on Public Transport from PTV Website
Animals can travel subject to the following conditions:
Dogs must be muzzled and on leads to be permitted on metropolitan trains.
Other small animals are permitted on metropolitan train, tram and bus, provided that they are carried in an approved animal containers. For approved animal containers, please see V/Line guidelines below.
Animals other than dogs and assistance animals are not allowed to travel on public transport unless they are carried in an approved container as stated above.
It is strongly advised that customers with dogs do not travel during weekdays between 7am and 9am and between 4pm and 6pm.
Read more from the Public Transport Victoria Website
Dog friendly walking tracks:
- Mathias Track: Easy
- Rock Track Circuit Walk: 3 km’s | 1 Hour Easy
- Rock Track- Mathias Track Circuit Walk: 6 km’s Easy > Moderate Walk
- Glenfern Valley Bushlands: 6km’s Easy > Moderate
- Birdsland Reserve: Easy Walk
- The Tan Track: Sherbrooke. 2.7 km | 40 mins | Easy Walk
- Dandenong Ranges Tourist Track – Sassafras to Emerald – 15km, one-way/ 5 hours | Moderate Walk
- Emerald to Cockatoo – 12kms return | Easy > Moderate
- Silvan to Mt Evelyn: Olinda Creek Walking Track – 9.2kms return | Easy > Moderate
- Cardinia Reservoir Park – 3 km’s | 1 Hour along Messmate Track | Easy > Moderate Walks