True Grit Walking Track:
The Name ‘True Grit’ is not an official walking trail as such. It was marked on the ‘Open Street’ map, but seems to no longer be there. Rather a shame, as the name was appealing somewhat. Hence, this walk has been dubbed ‘True Grit’ anyway!
This walk has steep, roller coaster, hills and is a great workout for the lungs and legs. It can be slippery underfoot when wet.
- Distance: 5.5km’s | 2 hours
- Medium > Hard
- No toilets
- No Dogs
- Parking on Inverness Road- From the Tourist Road go down Inverness a couple of hundred metres, plenty of parking off the road on the right.
- Download the useful free app from Avenza to locate your position and navigate easily.
True Grit Walk
- From the car park, walk to the right about 50 metres until a small trail leads off to the left.
- This joins into Wols Track, walk straight ahead.
- Stay on Wols Track for about 1km until it joins into Richardsons Track, then turn left.
- Follow Richardsons Track until it junctions with Alpina Track, turn left.
- Alpina Track follows a ridge line and the scenery changes to, predominantly, Messmate forest.
- The track slowly descends and joins into Pipeline Track, turn left.
- Pipeline and Olinda Creek Tracks both cross over one another a few times, follow Olinda Creek Track as this is a prettier option, though both will come to the same point eventually.
- After about 2km’s, the tracks merge at the end of Murrunbung Road, turn left onto Wols Track again and head up the hill.
- (At this junction, turning right and heading down the open grassy slope will take you to the Mt Evelyn Recreation Reserve).
- At the next junction, turn left to stay on Wols Track and return to where you first joined it or walk straight ahead to return to the parking area. Both options are more of less the same distance.
Parking on Inverness Road. This is the lower section of the road where it goes downhill from the Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, Kalorama.
The small trail to the left that joins into Wols Track.
Wols Track, a deceptive photo as this is a steep descent and ascent…
Wols Track junction with Richardson’s Track.
Richardson’s Track junction with Alpina Track to the left.
Alpina joining into Pipeline Track
Pipeline Track crossing with Olinda Creek Track. Either track can be used, though turning left onto Olinda Creek Track is the prettier option.
Olinda Creek Track
Pipeline, Olinda Creek Track and Wols Track junction. Turn left onto Wols to return to the car park. Walking down the open grassy area to the right goes to the Mt Evelyn Recreation Reserve.
Wols Track to the left or walk on the track straight ahead to return to the car park. The images below are on Wols Track.
Wols Track with some glimpses across to the Yarra Valley and hills beyond.